Bloomers Day Nursery Suggestions on how to select a nursery:
Questions to ask staff:
- What are the policies of the nursery? (Such as behaviour policy, equal opportunities, settling in, meal times)
- What curriculum does the nursery use to plan provision?
- What areas/rooms will my child be using?
- What range of activities do you provide?
- Do the children play outside regularly?
- What is the structure of the day?
- What are the fees and when do I pay?
- Would I have to pay if my child was absent, through sickness or due family holidays?
- What sort of relationship is there between staff and children?
- What qualifications/experience do the staffs have?
- What hours is the nursery open? Do you shut for holidays?
- What food is provided for the children? Is it freshly cooked?
- Are trips and visits organised?
- How do you cater for special needs?
- Do you keep records? In what form? Can I see my child’s record?
- Do you encourage parental involvement?
Issues to consider when viewing the nursery:
- Take your child with you when visiting to see how they get on.
- Make a second visit.
- Be clear about what type of care you want.
- Prepare a list of questions for when you visit.
- Ask to see our latest inspection report from Ofsted.
- Be prepared to spend time to spend time settling your child in.
- Speak to other parents/carers using our nursery.
- Are the other children there relaxed and content?
- Does your child appear to be happy in the nursery environment?
- Is the nursery adequately equipped with toys and other types of play material?
- Is there an outside area, which the children can use?